Friday, December 26, 2008

A CHRISTMAS EPIPHANY

Every Christmas I enjoy seeing my children get the things that they have wanted all year. My wife and I strive to give them everything that they want. I guess you can say that they are spoiled.

This year something happened that will probably stick with me way into my next life.

My family and I got up early to see what Santa had brought us and we began opening presents. There was the typical, "Cool...Thanks...I love it...you did not have to do that".

Towards the end my youngest son gave me a box that was wrapped more in tape than wrapping paper. I swear it took me 30 minutes to get to the box. I opened it up and found a pocket watch with an engraving of a Bass fish. I looked over at him and his eyes were the clearest and most loving that I have ever seen or maybe they have always been like that but never took the time to slow down and notice.

I gave him a hug and he hugged back but this time we did not let go. I could feel that he was proud of his gift to me and I was just as proud to have received it from him.

At that moment I had an epiphany in that this was what Christmas was and should really be about and that we have forgotten that it is not the gifts that we give or receive. It is the Love and the memories that we make with each other that go way beyond the life of the gift.

You can take everything from me and I will always have the memories and when I relive the memories I will feel the warm emotions of them each and every time. That is the true gift. Ourselves!!!

This watch that my son gave me will go with me every where and he will know what it means to me. Not the watch per say but what it stands for and what it means to me that it came from him and for the lesson he gave me that morning.

We all should do what we can to share ourselves daily in this way. If we did we would probably live in a better world. Each day is indeed a gift and a chance to make lasting memories.

The watch, because of the significance to me and the meaning it holds for me, will go back to my son when it is time for me to leave this earth. Without knowing it he has given our family an heirloom that I hope will continue to pass on the Christmas Epiphany.

I love you Jacob my son. You are always in my heart and my pocket...

No comments:

Post a Comment